Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm Not Your Typical Trainer

I'm not your typical personal trainer. I'll freely admit that I'm not a gung-ho fitness buff. Sometimes making the healthy choice isn't the easy choice. And for a long time, I made the easy choices and wound up 35 pounds overweight, unhealthy, and unhappy with my body. The look on my face in these before pictures say it all.
I was working a desk job that constantly stressed me out. I'd hit the McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast, eat a fast food lunch, and dinner was usually pizza or buffalo wings and beer. Add in plenty of candy and sweets. Combine my all-junk food diet with being totally inactive, and it starts to become clear how I got to the highest weight of my life.
I tried various diets and started trying to exercise, but nothing ever stuck. Until the day I couldn't pull on the biggest pair of pants I'd ever owned. That day I decided to make a change. I wasn't going to the store to keep buying bigger pants. I was going to make the changes and get my body and energy back. It took 9 months, with plenty of victories along with setbacks and plateaus, but through eating well and exercising, I got there. I'm an after.


Spending all of those months learning about nutrition and exercise ignited a passion in me. If I could do it, anyone could do it. And I wanted to be the person to help others do it. I studied and received my ACSM Personal Training Certification and began working as a personal trainer. Now I have a job I love and I get to help those I meet reach their health goals. This blog is an extension of that passion. Please check back regularly for plenty of honest information about eating well, exercising, and what it takes to be fit. I look forward to sharing my continuing journey with you!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That's the first time I've either believed or been impressed by a 'before/after' piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem right now is eating out no less than 5 times a week.

    My goal once I get moved into a house is to eat at home as much as possible.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great success story. I'm visiting from your sister's blog, and would love to follow along with some of your tips. I'd love to loose some weight but am more concerned with feeling more 'alive' and healthy. This blog will be a great helper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you're finding this blog a help!

    Mere, right now it's hard while you're eating out all the time. But that doesn't mean you always have to get fries ;) Or go eat with Mom and Dad. You know he takes requests.

    ReplyDelete