Thursday, May 28, 2009

Weighing In on Weighing In

How often should you weigh yourself if you’re trying to lose weight or maintain a weight loss? There are lots of different opinions on this subject, but I’ll share my philosophy with you. The advice I give is based on the personality of the individual.
For some people, the number on the scale carries a lot of importance, and it can be devastating to see any gain. Keeping in mind that body weight can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds day to day, I recommend that these people weigh in no more than once a week. Any more than that and the daily fluctuations will drive you crazy.
Other people need a set routine and a concrete, visual daily reminder. They are able to emotionally understand that weight can fluctuate based on factors such as water retention and, in fact, become more in touch with their body by learning how certain foods and behaviors affect it. For these people, daily weigh-ins are fine.
Also, if your goal is not weight-based, but to be able to fit into your skinny jeans, use those as your marker and stay off the scale. If you just want to be toned, measure your inches or body fat percentage instead of weight. Not all goals require monitoring on the scale.
Finally, never become a slave to the scale. It’s a tool; it is not your master. While the scale doesn’t lie, it also doesn’t always tell the whole story. If you are exercising and eating well, and you look and feel better, don’t get hung up on what that number says.

1 comment:

  1. Great advice! Thank you and I agree. I usually weigh more than the size clothes I can fit, so I typically set my body composition goals by pants size and not weight.

    ReplyDelete