Monday, June 8, 2009

Monday Moves - Go From Walking to Running

Having the ability to run is a goal for many people. But how do you go from sitting on the couch to being a runner? A little bit at a time.

Each run should last approximately 30 minutes
Week One: 3 min. walk/ 1 min. run
Week Two: 2:30 min. walk/ 1:30 min. run
Week Three: 2 min. walk/ 2 min. run
Week Four: 1:30 min. walk/ 2:30 min. run
Week Five: 1 min. walk/ 3 min. run
Week Six: :30 sec. walk/ 3:30 min. run
Week Seven: You're a runner!

2 comments:

  1. I also wanted to add something my trainer told me when I started to run. "distance first, speed second"

    My goal was to run 3 miles and start partcipating in 5K races.

    When I started back in Nov 2008 I couldn't even finish a mile...I about died at the 1/4 mile mark. So we slowed the pace and did a very similar schedule as what you have suggested and after 6 weeks of intense training I was able to run my first 5K at a 12 minute mile. Now after 8 month's I've increased my pace to an 11 minute mile.

    I now am working strictly on speed and hope to get to a 10 minute mile by the end of the year.

    It's a great feeling to go from couch to 5k.

    (Jenni - www.alivingdiary.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is great Jenni! Congratulations on reaching your 5k goal and continuing to improve your time!

    ReplyDelete