Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Confession #3

I started out with the best of intentions. Even though I was attending a wedding reception with a group of good friends, I vowed not to have any alcohol or junk food. I wasn't feeling well, and both of those things would only make the problem worse. I started out fine. I only drank water and Diet Coke while my friends took advantage of the open bar, and sampled just a bite of the delicious wedding cake after dinner.
But then we moved to the after party. The only non-alcoholic beverage was more Diet Coke. I don't really like Diet Coke. I was bored with water. So I figured just one Mike's Hard Lemonade couldn't hurt. Then the munchies came out. I indulged in chips and M&Ms some other junky things. And I paid for it all by having a wicked stomachache wake me up in the middle of the night. I'm a 29-year-old adult who gave in to peer pressure despite my best intentions.
Where did I go wrong? First, I didn't have any good alternative options. It's easy to feel deprived if those around you are enjoying fancy cocktails while you're stuck with plain soda that you don't really enjoy. A quick search of the web shows plenty of low-calorie non-alcoholic cocktails that offer plenty of flavor, so I don't feel as if I'm missing a thing, even if I'm not drinking alcohol. The same principle applies to the munchies. Even grabbing a bag of baked chips and some low fat dip to bring along to the after party would have given me a snack I could enjoy without feeling deprived.
The moral of this story is to set yourself up for success. It's natural to want a treat when everyone else around you is indulging. The trick is to make sure that you have treats available that fit your diet so that you can indulge guilt-free and stick to enjoying the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment